In an effort to foster new relationships, I had a meeting today with the Principal at the school across the street. If you read the initial complaint letter from the City, you’ll remember that one of their main reasons for demanding that we remove the hive was “a public nuisance endangering health and safety.” It turns out that the City officials never called the Principal to see if his students needed “protection” from my bee hive. The first person to contact the Principal was told, in effect that he had no idea it was there and didn’t have a problem with it.
Continuing with my proactive approach, I reached out to Mr. G and scheduled a meeting for today. We had a great conversation and it is obvious he is fairly educated about honeybees (he countered that he isn’t educated about bees, he’s a “farm kid”) and understands that they pose no risk to the children at the school. In fact, we looked at ways to incorporate the hive into the classroom setting, possibly with an assembly, but definitely with classroom trips across the parking lot once the bees wake up from their long winter’s nap. We both said it would be a loss to have a well-tended hive of docile honeybees a walk away, and not have it utilized for education.
We shared some laughs, talked about bees and my hive, why I am a beekeeper, and I made sure that all was well as neighbors between the school/parents/kids and me and my, erm, pets. 🙂 It was a refreshing break from struggles and misinformation, a wonderful opportunity to begin a relationship of sorts, and a much needed respite.